I was so happy that Mom and Cait could come and visit. Its SO nice to have a few helping hands around the house. Especially since my poor poor baby is so sad all the time. Cait and I even convinced mom they should stay an extra day :) Speaking of Manu and her crankiness, today, after a long hard night and a long hard morning, I called Dr. Jed her pediatrician and we went to the doctor. Dr. Jed is great, he looked her over and asked a lot of questions and pronounced her a classic case of colic. There is no specific cause and no know "cure", but usually its gastrointestinal discomfort which causes babies to cry because they are in pain. He said they usually grow out of it around three months... but he also said he has a "cure" which works 50% of the time. It has three steps:
1. Some medication for stomach discomfort (a prescription)
2. Probiotics, for Manu, taken as a powder for digestion
3. Dietary Restrictions - (for me) no dairy, tomatoes, caffeine/chocolate, brocolli, onions, beans
So, we are supposed to do this regimen for a week and see how things go. Dr. Jed said 50% of the time the babies are cured, 25% of babies get noticably better, and 25% just stay the same. Cross your fingers for the top 50%! I can't even imagine what it would be like for Manu to be calm and happy for longer than 10-15 minutes at a time... but I know it will be the best feeling in the universe.
In other news, I had a job interview today! Its an editing position with the Naval Post-graduate school in Monterey. I would be able to work from home, very flexible hours, editing MA students' theses and professor's reseach papers for journals and conferences. The interview went really well, and they gave me a sample paper to edit to see if I am any good. So, hopefully I get the job becasue it would really help us in our home buying endeavor.
Expect more updates soon... Love you all!
Cute pictures! And good luck Manu...can't wait to hear if you feel better soon. And about the job, but I am sure that you will get it!
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the job! And colic does not sound fun, I'm terrified of my baby having it! Taylor's sister had it and I've heard the horror stories. I hope she starts to feel better soon!
ReplyDelete